Wednesday, December 28, 2011
I have completed many projects and am looking forward to posting pictures of those and a few in the works also. For now I am on a kick to get my house cleaned up to have a fresh start for the new year and I have an appointment to play Transformers with Jake, so TTFN.
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Thursday, October 13, 2011
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
A bit of spinning on the drying rack destined for my first tapestry attempt.
Sunday, September 18, 2011
Wednesday, September 14, 2011
By the time the kids were napping I decided to make myself a quill attachment for my spinning wheel (I could buy one for about $50 but my homemade model was free (an extra chopstick from take out, sharpened and sanded and a rubber band that I think came off of a bunch of asparagus). It took a little fiddling to get it to stay put but it works great! I think I will add a whorl of sorts to keep the cop from getting into the orifice of the wheel. Also just a note that I always slide a protective cover over it and turn it to face a wall so no one gets all sleeping beauty on that thing.
I was in the mood to do something fiddly and intricate so I started planning a project which led me to a skein of yarn I had spun from my first fleece. I wound off skeins in small yardages (specified by the pattern I chose). I got the kids to bed and watched some TV with Brian then I got the dye baths set up:
Tuesday was a VERY busy day. I woke up to Jake bringing me his clothes with a big smile on his face. Everyone got dressed and Brian even took the morning off of work so he could be there for his little boy on his first day of school.
Monday, September 12, 2011
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
Thursday, July 21, 2011
The pattern will of course show up much better once it has been blocked.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Here it is after fulling:
The pattern is a bit clearer and I think that once we dye the warp it will really pop out. I am so looking forward to having some color in this pattern!
After a walk in Toni's beautiful garden we took some inspiration from her coffee roses and decided on our colors.
Speaking of gardens, I noticed that my lavender is in bloom and decided to try making a lavender wand:Lavender wands were in fashion with the Victorian ladies and are still used as a wonderful way to scent the air. You can keep them in your dresser or anywhere you would like to repel moths, place them in a flower arrangement (a great way to scent a silk flower arrangement) or pop them in a vase in your bathroom. If you don't want to make a wand, you can collect and dry the buds and sprinkle them in your tub, put them in a sachet or an eye pillow. On a side note you should keep fresh lavender away from boys as there are natural hormones in the plant that can affect them in negative ways.
Tuesday, July 05, 2011
I have always heard about the 'gauge lies' phenomenon but have never experienced it myself to this degree. I did a gauge swatch before beginning the project and got just a smidge over 4 stitches per inch(spi). The gauge that was called for was 4spi and I figured if I did the large size shawl that smidge would not matter as the large would be too big for me so that little bit would help it become just the right size. After finishing the shawl and laying it out I see that is WAY to small...it is supposed to be 54in across for the small size and 74 for the large. Mine is 44. yeah. not great. So I measured the gauge and it's 6spi. Waayyyy off.
Hopefully it will block out a bit larger, but it feels doubtful...it is very inelastic on one side from where the colors traveled up the side so I will be limited to stretching it to whatever that side will allow. I am definitely doing a 'hard block' on this one though.
I am a bit bummed about it since I was so eager to wear it, however worst case it will fit Abby nicely.
Here it is, unblocked for now:
Saturday, June 25, 2011
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Before our camping trip I used some of the leftovers from Abby's Coat to make a coat for my teapot:Yesterday I finally finished these socks! It only took me a year and a half. They were nice and simple enough that I got the majority of the fishishitup knitting done by the campfire on our trip.
And I don't know how I failed to start a Ravelry page or blog about it but a while ago I started this:
and have been plugging away at it a little here and there for several months now. The pattern is Triinu from Knitted Lace of Estonia.
Also the weaving on the Sheep to Shawl sample scarf is almost done!
Saturday, June 18, 2011
Decided not to take Abby's new handknit coat on the trip - very pleased about that decision since her most beloved activity while we were there was 'dirt baths' (her words) and that is pretty much what she did most of the day, everyday when we were not doing a structured activity.
The kids got to play on the playground, go swimming, go fishing, do some sightseeing, have fire roasted hot dogs, sleep in a tent and of course play in dirt and only get yelled at it when they threw it.
I'll try to get some blogging done in a day or two, for now I am off to do more laundry and clean up the house that managed to get trashed within 10 minutes of walking in the door yesterday.