Monday, September 12, 2011

Sheep to Shawl

This year the sheep to shawl competition was a lot more work for me than usual. Primarily because I was a lot more involved than usual. This year I carded, spun and wove the sample, helped with the dying of the warp and I was the weaver of the shawl. I had so much fun with this and think it turned out really great. I love the colors we ended up with and really hope I end up winning the raffle for this shawl.
Above is the weaving in progress (after 4+hours of warping the loom the weaving was a breeze!). Below is the finished shawl layed out on the table so we could twist the fringe.
And here is the fringe all twisted up:
I brought the shawl home with me and this morning I tossed it into a bathtub with some soap and about an inch of water and roughed it up for about a half an hour or so until it became fulled. Then I layed it out on some bathtowels in a safe spot (to keep the kids and the cat away from it) and blocked it out and left it to dry. That process took about an hour and a half and my arms are killing me! (wool is very heavy when it's wet).

Another project I worked on a few days ago were some puppets for Jacob and Abby. I think they turned out pretty well and the kids seem to like them.
 Girl monkey:
 Kitty:
 Shark:
 Goldfish:

3 comments:

Inthesky said...

What a beautiful shawl, good luck in the raffle! I will keep my fingers crossed for you. The puppets look like great fun too. My youngest had a set of farmyard puppets he drew on lolly sticks with bright felt pens.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh Wow that is so pretty, those colors are fab!!! I hope you win, it would look great with your hair color. I'm so excited that you got all that done in one day.

The puppets look like so much fun!

Hope Jake's 1st day of PreK went well.

Marlene said...

Oooo, I love the variation of the colour across the warp.