Thursday, July 21, 2011

Another Test Knit

I am currently working on another test knit of a pattern from a designer on Ravelry. So far it's coming out well and I am eager to wear it - this one is eventually going to be a cardigan. So far I have the bottom of the body and the waist shaping done:Here is a close up of the lace pattern:

The pattern will of course show up much better once it has been blocked.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Weaving: Wool and Flowers

I finally finished my Sheep to Shawl sample scarf after some serious down time and here it is before fulling:

I took it to Toni's and she helped me full it and block it so we could get accurate measurements for shrinkage and needed fiber for the actual shawl. It looks like we have plenty of fiber but decided to toss a little silk into the batts for the warp to add a little luster and drape.
Here it is after fulling:

The pattern is a bit clearer and I think that once we dye the warp it will really pop out. I am so looking forward to having some color in this pattern!
After a walk in Toni's beautiful garden we took some inspiration from her coffee roses and decided on our colors.
Speaking of gardens, I noticed that my lavender is in bloom and decided to try making a lavender wand:Lavender wands were in fashion with the Victorian ladies and are still used as a wonderful way to scent the air. You can keep them in your dresser or anywhere you would like to repel moths, place them in a flower arrangement (a great way to scent a silk flower arrangement) or pop them in a vase in your bathroom. If you don't want to make a wand, you can collect and dry the buds and sprinkle them in your tub, put them in a sachet or an eye pillow. On a side note you should keep fresh lavender away from boys as there are natural hormones in the plant that can affect them in negative ways.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

All Done and Dissapointed

Well, I finished the thing I was knitting.

I was working on a test knit of a shawl and I LOVE the look of it and I was really excited to wear it, however it is too small.

I have always heard about the 'gauge lies' phenomenon but have never experienced it myself to this degree. I did a gauge swatch before beginning the project and got just a smidge over 4 stitches per inch(spi). The gauge that was called for was 4spi and I figured if I did the large size shawl that smidge would not matter as the large would be too big for me so that little bit would help it become just the right size. After finishing the shawl and laying it out I see that is WAY to is supposed to be 54in across for the small size and 74 for the large. Mine is 44. yeah. not great. So I measured the gauge and it's 6spi. Waayyyy off.

Hopefully it will block out a bit larger, but it feels is very inelastic on one side from where the colors traveled up the side so I will be limited to stretching it to whatever that side will allow. I am definitely doing a 'hard block' on this one though.
I am a bit bummed about it since I was so eager to wear it, however worst case it will fit Abby nicely.
Here it is, unblocked for now: