Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Aaaand were back!

The kids and I just got home from a week up on Orcas (almost a week anyway). We had a great time hanging out with Gramma Gramma and Grandpa Yogi. Jake got to pick berries and play at the bakery bench and Abby got to touch a live crab. She was mad that Grandpa wouldn't let her hold it all by herself. Jake on the otherhand did not want anything to do with it. My parents also got a golf cart for zipping around the property and the kids REALLY loved that. They spent some quality time with Uncle ZaZa on the porch swing and got to visit with Uncle Nate for a bit too.
I got a day without the kids on Saturday when I went to the San Juan County Fair to participate in the Sheep to Shawl demonostration. I had a ton of fun and think I may have lured welcomed a new spinner into the fold. Our team made a shawl in roughly 4 hours wich I think is pretty impressive - especially since our weaver was 15year old Liam Nutt who did not make any mistakes and has the honor of  being the first ever male weaver in the San Juan County Fair Sheep to Shawl. I managed not to buy even a half ounce of fiber too wich is pretty impressive for me.
One of the most exciting parts of the day was when I got back I discovered that I had TWO sales on my Etsy shop! One Spinable Smoothie and one Custom Bear.
On Sunday we got to go to my grandparents house where Granddad made doughnuts! I haven't had a hot Dick Doty doughnut in ages and it was a wonderful treat (I only ate two). We headed home to give the kids naps and get some cooking in and by the time they woke up it was time to go back to Grandma's for dinner. Dinner was pretty good and I got to have another doughnut too!
Monday we caught the red-eye and went to see my brother's new house that he is renting with his fiancee and have breakfast. Making multiple stops along the way we eventually made it home and had time to unload the car before we ran out and picked up dinner. Mom, Abby and I dropped Jake and Brian off at the tennis courts on our way, stopped a Walmart for a couple of things and Jo-ann so I could get the fabric for the custom bear. Then we got dinner, headed home and met the boys. After dinner it was bath and bed for pretty much everyone.
Yesterday I spent the day trying to tie up some loose ends with my Etsy stuff - basically I finally sat down and cruched the numbers to find out if I was giving away my time and materials or if I was actually making anything. While I am not making much of anything at all, I am covering my costs with a little left over. Brian was sure I was upsidedown and is happy to know that I am not even if the pay for my time is quite actually just enough to buy peanuts with.
I got nothing as far as housework done (it looks like a bomb went off in here), but I did get the bear all cut out and ready to sew. I hope to have most of the sewing done today, along with the dishes and laundry (damned laundry just won't go away). If I can get that far I hope to start measuring warp for a new project on the big loom. The last one I was so utterly unhappy with that I have finally cut it off of the loom. I think I am going try to do a 4 harness pattern this time.
Well, off to start those dishes.


tweetey30 said...

Happy crafting and that sheep to shawl sounds like fun.. never seen that done before..

Alexis AKA MOM said...

YEAH on the two orders!!! I'm so glad you're ahead of the game instead of behind.

Wow that is one heck of a week you had! I love that you even had some me time :). hehe love she wanted the crab.

I can't wait to see the new bear you make. Way to go for the guy that helped with the shawl!

Would LOVE to come over for coffee, we have no plans for after church if your up for company!