Well, I have a bit of catching up as usual but her it goes:
Not so long ago I decided to try an experiment with my new drum carder. I started with some brown "mystery wool" that I think is Romney. Then I cut up bits of yarn (leftover thrums from the Sheep To Shawl) and sprinkled them in.
I like the look of the color interaction but I am not sure how well the bits of yarn will stay in with wear. So next time I think I will card up the little yarn bits first.
This last Sunday I declared it a "wool day" and spent most of the day playing with wool in various forms. First I was updating my spinning notebook with a fiber blending project I am working on. Here they are all blended, spun, skeined and stored in recycled jelly jars:
I also have issues throwing things out so the scraps from the blending got spun up into a little mini skein that I knit into a sock for my key chain and had some left over to put into my spinning notebook.
A dunk in hot soapy water of the first 2/3 of the lock, then flip it, do it again and repeat in the rinse water.
Then they were flick carded one lock at a time and set in my spinning basket waiting to become yarn:
And then some spinning on the wheel - going for lace weight so we'll see how big it gets when plyed and set.
The kids wanted in on the wool fun and because I really loved the way the colors of my scrap bits behaved together I decided to dye a larger batch and see if I could make a batt that would get me similar results. Here is the wool all dry and ready to be carded on the drum carder.
Here is the pretty batt all rolled up. I ended up with two of these as I did not want to overload the carder.
And last but not least is my current knitting: